Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Little Miss Austen "Pride and Prejudice" Counting Primer

I chanced upon this book at a local children's book store this afternoon, and knew immediately that I must buy it.  In case you haven't heard, this year is the 200th anniversary of the first publication of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.  How, then, could I resist this board book?


I absolutely love the illustrations for this.  They're bright, funny, and full of old-fashioned embellishments. This page is my favorite:  four marriage proposals.  I especially love the funny bits of dialog for each one (click on it to enlarge if you need to).


I also like these portraits of the five Bennet sisters:


I haven't actually read this to Abigail yet, as she fell asleep in the car and is still out (which is why I have a moment to write this), but even if she doesn't take to it, I will keep it because it amuses me so greatly.  They had other classic books turned into board books too, including Jane Eyre, which is my favorite book ever.  But that one wasn't as funny, and some of the pictures were actually a little scary (it's a much darker novel, after all), so I didn't get it.

(Written by Jennifer Adams, illustrated by Alison Oliver)

2 comments:

  1. What a clever idea for a children's book! I'm surprised you didn't think of it first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I've had maybe three ideas for a picture book in my life, and none as clever as this. But thanks ;-)

      Delete

What's on your mind? Whatever it is, please remember that this is a family-oriented blog and choose your words accordingly. I tend to respond to almost every comment, so check the little box to have follow-up comments mailed to you if you want to be sure you don't miss the rest of the conversation.